Sunday, December 19, 2010

What Is Christmas?

I am setting here, looking out the window, and even though it is breezy outside today (Sunday 19) and the sun is shinning, it is Christmas 2010. It doesn't feel like Christmas. My thoughts of Christmas , I guess from my childhood, is "SNOW." Now to some of you, you're probably glad there isn't any snow, and others wish we had some of the white stuff that they have.

But I have been doing some reflection about what Christmas is. Even though there are those, and a minority at best, who are trying their hardest to do away with Christmas, the truth is that it is Christmas.

Christmas is the pivotal event on which all of human history hangs. It is the physical birthday in which the Son of God became the Son of man so that sons of men could become sons of God. I wonder if we really realize what that says to us.

For you see, long before you and I were, God was planning what it would take for you and me to be able to know Him. And that is what Christmas is all about. The one who would take my place because of my sin, and make it possible to call God, my "Father," Jesus, became my "Savior."

Christmas is the day that holds all time together; eternity past, eternity present, and eternity future.

Christmas is when light came into our world; John 8:12 (NKJV)  Then Jesus spoke to them again, saying, "I am the light of the world. He who follows Me shall not walk in darkness, but have the light of life."

During this Christmas season, it is proper that we keep our eyes, our voices, and our hearts lifted upward as we offer our profound thanksgiving to God for His matchless gift through our worship and our praise to Him.

Merry Christmas and a blessed new year.

No comments:

Post a Comment